R.Benson were selected as the Principal Contractor for complete kitchen block renovation at Telferscot Primary School following a competitive tender process. Telferscot Primary School was originally built in 1904 with additional buildings being added post WWII. The disused kitchen block was in a poor state of repair and had been unused for an number of years. The school wanted to make use of the space to accommodated their extended schools offering.
The block is a post-2nd WW Hutted Operation for the Raising of the School Leaving Age (HORSA) building, comprising concrete structural frame, infill masonry panels, PVC windows and concrete floor.
The works included:
- Alteration and complete internal and external refurbishment of a redundant kitchen block
- Renewal of the roof coverings (and part structure)
- New windows, insulation and rendering of external walls
- Internal layout alterations requiring demolitions and construction of new walls
- Renewal of all services, new joinery and decorations
- External groundworks
When working on a live school site the safe guarding of children is paramount. The school was occupied and open throughout the majority of the works. We ensured that the works were carried out with as little disturbance to the school as practical. All staff involved on the project had current DBS checks but, with effective planning and traffic management plan, contact with students was kept to a minimum. Site inductions and ID badges were given to all staff and we operated a strict NO ID NO WORK policy. All staff and operatives received regular health and safety toolbox talks.