R. Benson were appointed to carry out the complete refurbishment and remodelling of Lavender Court and Respond Care Home which are part of a supported living scheme for adults with learning and physical disabilities. The project is being completed in phases and will remain occupied with vulnerable residents for the duration of the programme. The existing blocks each comprised two kitchens, communal bathroom, laundry area, lounge, dining area, main office and ten bedrooms plus an office. The refurbishment works were split into two phases and included the following:
- Remodelling of 2 no. buildings to create bedrooms with disabled en-suite facilities
- Revised kitchen, laundry and communal spaces
- Revised heating and electrical layout
- Provision of new fire alarm and associated fittings
- Division of external spaces
- New external storage units
- Future proofing of building for all types of users with learning and physical disabilities
R. Benson self-delivered the majority of works undertaken using our directly employed skilled trades teams and our certified M&E engineers.
To achieve the programme dates on this project the management team worked very closely with both the architect and client to refine the final specifications across the scheme. During the build programme the specification changed on many occasions with last minute changes being made to the doors, locks and the warden control system. Strong programme management ensured the successful delivery of phase one on time and on budget.
From the very start of this project the residents needs were put first. Each bedroom was individually decorated using materials and colours chosen from an extensive range by each resident and their family’s. We were delighted with the reactions from the residents when they saw their rooms for the first time.