R. Benson was selected as the Principal Contractor for replacement of failing felt roofs across the Buckingham School site following a mini competition under the LHC Flat Roofing Framework. The covered walkways were pooling water, leaking and had inefficient insulations with rooflights in needs of refurbishment.
In summary, the external works included:
- Installation of scaffold to roof area
- Overlay of existing flat roofs with Langley Waterproofing Paracoat Cold Polyurea CP-20-W) specification with insulation
- Repositioning of affected cabling and reinstatement on completion
- Removal and disposal of existing rooflights and installation of new Langley Rooflights
- Worked with Langley to design new t-gutters across the roof area to effectively disperse water away from clerestory windows that were not being replaced
- All works were completed and signed off with a Langley Waterproofing Systems insured workmanship and materials guarantee for a period of 20 years
The R. Benson contract management teams have extensive experience of working across school sites and understand the additional safeguarding measures required. The majority of the work took place during the school holidays however due to long periods of rain during the holiday period works stretched into the new school term. To safeguard students all works was carefully segregated from students. Access to the roof area was limited to one entrance point that was hoarded and secured with a digilock to restrict access. All scaffold standards at ground level were marked with hazard tape and wrapped with protective foam sleeves to safeguard staff and children moving around the school.
The contract manager held daily lookahead meetings with the school’s premises manager to manage deliveries, review programme and advise how many operatives would be on site and where they would be working. All work was successfully completed and handover with zero defects or health and safety incidents.