R. Benson was appointed under a JCT Minor Works Building Contract with Contractors Design to carry out extensive internal and external repair and refurbishment works following a competitive process. The property comprises a terrace of 4No. Houses that have been converted into self-contained flats, provided over four floors. The scope of works included:
- Full R&D Asbestos Survey carried out by UKAS accredited Asbestos Surveying company
- Scaffold design and installation
- Design and installation of external metal staircase
- Internal and external lighting design and installation
- Stucco render repairs
- Pitched and Flat Roof replacements
- Renewal of brickwork to chimneys and parapet walls
- Renewal of render and decoration to all external walls
- Wall repairs and redecoration
- Internal repairs and redecoration of communal areas
- Replacement of all flooring in communal areas
During the works we discovered the roof main roofs, which were scheduled to be renewed, contained asbestos. At least three layers of flat roofing need to be removed and the contents of the loft was contaminated and had to be removed. We instructed a specialist asbestos contractor to manage the removal. In addition, once the roof’s were stripped we discovered previously undetected structural issues to the roof brickwork and timbers. Using our directly employed trades people we managed all additional works.
We worked in partnership with the Contract Administrators to ensure the successful delivery of this project.
Due to the age of the building unexpected issues arose during the works, we held regular meetings to resolve these and provide the best outcome for the client and on completion, we received the following feedback:
Many thanks for your hard work. The works look great and have certainly restored the character and appearance of the properties.