R. Benson was appointed to carry out a complete internal and external refurbishment of two period houses on the edge of Hatfield Park. The properties enjoy a prominent position next to the gatehouse of the Hatfield House Estate and opposite Hatfield Train Station. The three storey properties were dated and required a complete, sympathetic restoration to be brought up to current letting standards.
Scope of works to both properties included:
- Complete repointing of the exterior of the building
- Supply and renewal of 3no decorative chimneys and associated work (conservation works)
- Landscaping to all external areas
- Complete strip out of all fixtures, fittings and surface coverings back to bare brick
- Water tanking to lower ground floor
- Redecoration to a high specification throughout
- Relocation and installation of new kitchens and bathrooms
- Retained and sympathetically restored existing features and fittings
- Noise-canceling HUSH system installed to party walls
- Fire breaks installed in loft area
- New vinyl flooring in kitchens and bathrooms
- Full rewire and new central heating system throughout
- Communal home satellite system installed
The period properties had unique features that were retained throughout the restoration. R. Benson worked with a number of novated specialist contractors to ensure external works were in keeping with properties across the Estate. During the programme we also sourced bespoke material including handmade decorative chimneys and like for like roof tiles sourced from period reclamation yards. Both properties required extensive basement works to reduce levels for a new insulated slab and tanking system including a sump pump area. We used a Newton wall membrane waterproofing system installation with a full insurance backed 10 year guarantee.
The site is located in a prominent position at the gatehouse of Hatfield Park and opposite the busy Hatfield Train Station. Members of the public walk past the properties, therefore, it was essential that the site was kept clean and clear at all times. Friends of Hatfield were consulted about the works and visited throughout the build programme. We received no complaints and had zero health & safety issues during the 30 week construction programme. Weekly site meetings and monthly project review meeting ensured a great partnership with the client.