R. Benson was selected as the Principal Contractor for extensive roof replacement and asbestos removal work at Montem Academy following a competitive tender process. Despite a challenging programme this project was delivered on time and budget.
The project comprised the following roofing works:
- Removal of all existing roof coverings including tiles identified as containing asbestos
- Replacing all tiled roofs using a Redland Cambrian Slate system
- Replacing all flat roofs with a Langley system
- Replace all rooflights
- Installation of fire breaks
- Replacing fascia boards / cladding to flat roof areas
- Specialist CCTV drainage survey and jet clearance of the existing below ground rainwater system and rainwater pipes
- Clearing all debris from guttering to all flat and pitched roof areas
Working around a live school
When working on a live school site the safe guarding of children is of paramount importance. The school was occupied and open throughout the majority of the works. We ensured that the works were carried out with as little disturbance to the school as practical. All staff involved on the project had current DBS checks. Site inductions and ID badges were given to all staff and we operate a strict NO ID NO WORK policy. All staff and operatives received regular health and safety toolbox talks.
Segregating the construction works from the children is always a priority when working on a live school site. At Montem Academy we set up the site compound with direct access to the scaffolding. Operatives could only access the roof area using an access point within the secure site compound. There was limited space in the compound to store materials so we created a reinforced scaffolded loading bay at roof level. Materials were lifted directly from the delivery vehicles to the roof level loading bay saving both time and space in the constrained site compound area.